Dedicated To Your Financial & Physical Recovery

Returning to Work After Receiving Workers’ Comp Benefits

On Behalf of | Dec 1, 2016 | Workers' Comp |

After suffering an injury, partial or total disability, it can be frustrating to find you may not be able to return to work right away. Lost wages can seriously affect a family’s livelihood, which is why many people injured on the job question how returning the work with affect their workers’ compensation benefits. In this blog, our attorneys explore how the different types of workers’ compensation benefits and the effects of returning to work.

Temporary vs. Permanent Disability: If you are temporarily unable to work due to your injury or other medical reasons, your employer’s temporary disability insurance should kick in and pay you typically two-thirds of your salary every two weeks. Temporary disability usually lasts for 90 days at which point, if you are unable to return to work, permanent disability kicks in. The percentage of your salary paid is based on the extent of your injury or disability, your age, and occupation at the time of your injury.

Returning to Work after Workers’ Compensation

The state understands how frustrating it can be to be unable to go back to the occupation you spent your life working due to your injuries, which is why many workers’ compensation benefits offer vocational rehabilitation. This program provides the beneficiary the assistance needed to find another job.

If you are able to recover from your injuries and return to the occupation you held prior to your injury at the same or greater salary before your injuries than your workers’ compensation benefits will cease. If you return to work and are experiencing wage loss due to your injury, you may still receive wage loss benefits just at a lesser amount.

Work Closely with Your Attorneys

If you are receiving workers’ compensation benefits and there is a change in your working status, you should notify your insurer, your employers, and your workers’ comp lawyer immediately. If you are unsure how your change in status might affect your workers’ compensation benefits, contact the Law Offices of Andrew B. Shin today to speak with an attorney. 408-341-6025